ORAL CANCER AWARENESS
Every April, the dental community organizes the Oral Cancer Awareness Month. It is organized for educating the patients and neighbors about the dreadful disease, says the dentist in Leland. In fact, it’s said that oral cancer kills one person every hour, every day. More than 50000 people are diagnosed with oral cancer every year. The dentists near Leland, NC, wishes to do their part by helping the community recognize the risks and signs of early cancer, so that more and more people enjoy good oral health.
Who Is At The Risk Of Getting Oral Cancer?
Anyone can get oral cancer, but there are few things that put someone at a greater risk of oral cancer. While no one can change these factors, there are certainly some ways we can control it. Let’s have a look at some factors that increase the risk of oral cancer:
- Tobacco use – 80% of the oral cancer diagnoses are in tobacco users, including the ones who smoke cigarettes, cigars, or use smokeless tobacco.
- Drinking Alcohol – Approximately 70% of the ones diagnosed with oral cancer are found to be heavy drinkers.
- Gender – Men are two times more likely to develop oral cancer as compared to women.
- Age – People over the age of 50 are at increased risk of oral cancer.
- The Sun – Unprotected sun exposure tends to put people at higher risk of oral cancer.
Oral Cancer Symptoms
Even though oral cancer can be treated successfully, the treatment and survival increase to a greater extent, when oral cancer is diagnosed early. It’s important to know the signs of oral cancer. Some common symptoms are as follows:
- A sore throat that doesn’t go away
- Irregular areas such as lumps, rough spots, or erosion
- Red or white patches
- Pain or numbness
- Difficulty speaking, chewing, or swallowing
If you notice any of these symptoms, you must call the dentist near 28451 and schedule an appointment. Regular dental checkups, not only helps in preventing cavities, but also helps in monitoring your overall oral health. During the examination the dentist will look for any signs of concerns.